Wednesday 17 February 2010

Graham Short - Let me show you my etchings part3

...

Don't ask me why I choose to engrave the Lord's Prayer on the head of a pin. It really did take over my life and I'm not even religious. I just knew that engraving 278 letters on a two-milimeters surface was something no one else could do and I after that sense of achivement. I experimented with lots of miniature engraving tools and the best were very fine needles made at the turn of the 19th century. I bought 300, 20 years ago, and still have30 left. I flattened the points then re-sharpened them with an Arkansas whetstone. Then they had to be retempered to the right strengh. Small birthday candles work best - once the needle's glowing it's quenched in an egg cup of oil but too much heat and the steel's too soft to work with. I've spent whole days heating and re-heating a needle. I worked on the pin under a microscope, at night, my arm strapped to my side with a leather luggage strap, so my my fingertrips could move. Once I looked up to see a mouse staring straight at me. The pattering of its feet on the floor can cause enough vibration to make the needle slip across the pinhead. I'm incredibly fit, but even my own pulse affected the steadiness of my hand. In the end, I wore a stethoscopy and holding my breath aimed for one stroke at the time, between heart beats.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter came home from school today and told us about this engraver. Apparently he had been invited to visit her school and gave a talk to the pupils about how he did it. She was fascinated. I've found his website. Quite fantastic! And what a client list!!!!

    www.grahamshortengraving.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. This guy is doing some unbelievable work. He's now engraving along the sharp edge of a Wilkinson Sword razor blade. Yes, along the sharp edge! The BBC local news reported he'd cut his fingers to ribbons while attempting this. Obviously a very talented guy, but at what cost? They say his eyesight is failing too.

    ReplyDelete